Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Safe Canoeing FAQ

We've received a few questions about the Safe Canoeing program. Here are the answers:

Where is it?

The Safe Canoeing program is located at the Sunnyside Gus Ryder Pool building, on Lakeshore Boulevard at Parkside Drive. Our headquarters are on the south side of the building facing the boardwalk and Sunnyside beach. We canoe on Lake Ontario and the Humber River. This location is accessible by TTC (80 Queensway bus from Keele Station, or 501 Queen/508 Lakeshore streetcar to Parkside Drive). There are parking lots nearby along Lakeshore Boulevard.

What should I bring?
We are outside rain or shine. Please be prepared for the weather. Items to bring include: hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle, sweater/sweatshirt, rain jacket, and shoes/sandals that can get wet.

Can I attend more than one session?
The Safe Canoeing course is designed as a single, 3-hour session. You are welcome to register for more than one session, but each 3-hour class is the same.

Do I need to bring my own lifejacket?
No. We will provide you with a Personal Flotation Device (a lifejacket), paddle, canoe, and safety kit. You may use your own PFD if you prefer, as long as it is Canadian government approved and in good condition.

Do I have to know how to swim?
You should be comfortable in the water. You do not have to be an expert swimmer to participate in the Safe Canoeing program. You must wear a PFD at all times while in a canoe or near the water, regardless of your swimming ability.

Will I get wet?
There is a risk of immersion with any water-based activity. We do not plan to tip our canoes. You will get your feet wet entering and exiting the canoe.

Can my kids take the course with me?
Yes! We encourage families to participate together. In order to participate, your child must be registered in the course.

Can my child take Safe Canoeing by himself/herself?
Young people under 14 years of age need to have an accompanying adult participant. If your child is 14 years or over, they can take the course by him or herself. Young people 13-24 years of age can also participate in our Leadership Program.

Can I participate if I have a special need?

Please contact our program coordinator to discuss how we can best accomodate your needs. People with mobility and sensory disabilities have previously participated in our programming.

Do I have to take Safe Canoeing before I can do the Leadership Program?
No. There are no prerequisites for the Leadership Program.